Sunday, August 11, 2013

Water, Water Everywhere

For anyone who is not currently aware, I really really adore water. The sound rain falling, swimming in it, playing in it, watching it fall and wind so freely, the canyons it carves, the coolness of it on your skin... Everything about water just makes me so incredibly happy. So, I'll be dedicating this entire post to water and all of my experiences with it in the past week or so. This will be a long one, hence the read more after this point. Enjoy!

Utah Water

Alpine Sliding Rock (8/3/2013)

The falls!

Saturday morning, I got a call from my friend Alisha asking me if I'd be interested in going to a waterfall slide thing. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but I knew that I was game. We left with her cousin and a few of his friends to Alpine to hike, uphill, what had to be about a mile or so. I kept my poker face on, but that hike was killer.  That is, until we made it to the water. Now, I saw what Alisha meant. It's a natural water slide! After sliding down a couple of times, we also hiked a bit farther upstream just for fun; I ended up with a wicked bruise on my ankle that is still there, but it was so worth it! Something about water just makes everything better, especially cold water on a hot day!

Alisha and myself cheesing it!
Not my picture, but a great view of the slide.


Diamond Fork Hot Springs (8/5/2013)


The water here was about as warm as a hot tub!
Marina and I


The Diamond Fork Hot Springs hike with my amazing new friend Marina was a major self-esteem booster for me! I've struggled with altitude sickness, fatigue, asthma, and just general feebleness ever since I've moved to Utah. But, this time, I was able to hike nearly 5 miles without feeling sick at all! It was truly a little miracle; a tender mercy, if you will. 
This was my first experience doing a sunrise hike and my first time ever seeing hot springs. It was so beautiful and cleansing. We started out with it still completely dark outside to the point that we could barely see where we were walking. Then, like magic, the world slowly went from black and white to color as we made our way to the springs. Getting up at 4:30 a.m.? Worth it. Especially with this chick; experiencing the wonders of nature with a great friend is so incredibly cleansing.
I hope Marina doesn't mind me using her photo from Instagram!

Florida Water

Rainbow Springs State Park (8/9/2013)

The swimming hole!
Such a lovely, lovely river.



Bridgette and I kayaking down the river!
A waterfall at the park (photo courtesy of mom)
A photographic essay suits this place the best. Rainbow Springs State Park is one of my favorite places in the whole world. I felt the need to go here this summer, so we did. The clearest, prettiest, freshest freshwater I've ever had the pleasure to swim in, there is so much more to this little adventure than I could get pictures of. As my sister, Bridgette, and I kayaked down the river, we saw huge turtles and fish and enjoyed some of the absolute best that Florida has to offer. If ever I were to live in Florida again, I think I could handle living in beautiful Ocala or Dunellon.

Wakulla Springs State Park (8/10/2013)

As a family tradition, my sisters, dad and I make at least one trip to Wakulla Springs every summer. This one was a bit of a bust, but still enjoyable nonetheless. The tannin from the cypress trees had turned the water a nice burnt sienna color. You couldn't see the bottom, but you could see your feet while you were in the water (although they looked as if I were another ethnicity!). It was raining when we got there, then it stopped, then it rained again, then it stopped again, then it rained again, then... It stopped for good--right about the time we decided to leave.
A picture courtesy of Tallahassee.com



So, there you have it folks. Lots of adventures with water in a really short time! I can't believe I've waited so long to be adventurous!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! Seriously. What a fun idea for a post. and you mentioned me? I feel so honored. And yes, use my pictures as much as possible. That's why I take them :) Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I mentioned you! I mention all of the cool kids ;)

      Delete