Friday, July 25, 2014

My Non-Apology Letter

This letter is to announce that I have decided to make a change: a different change from the kind that I usually make.
For one reason or another, I have battled shame for being who I am. Not just shame for my shortcomings, but a sort of shame for my strengths as well.


As a devoutly religious person, humility is an important virtue for me. Somewhere along the way, it seems that I've confused humility with presenting myself as less than who I am.

The Lord said:
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
 -Matthew 5:14-16
 It is by the grace of God that I have been given strength in times of great weakness. These blessings aren't something that I should be hiding, but embracing and thanking my Heavenly Father for every single day.


Allow me to be completely clear, I absolutely do not think of myself as better than any other person in the world. I believe that every single person in this world is a child of a loving Heavenly Father who has potential far beyond their own capacity if they but seek His aid in living a good life. However, I'm done "toning down" my strengths in hopes of gaining the approval of others.

My name is Melissa. I have many shortcomings, and I've decided that hiding my strengths should no longer be one of them. I am a law student, I am strong, I am resilient, I am creative, I am capable, I am blessed, I have overcome hard things, I am spunky, I have big dreams, I can do hard things,  and I'm not sorry.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I absolutely love this!!! and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! You are a great example to the world!

    ReplyDelete